Another 8 weeks of jewelry fabrication starts March 22nd. This time we are offering the series on Tuesdays. You pick, either morning (10am-12pm) or evening (6:30pm-8:30pm)
Week 1 – March 22: Etching Workshop
Week 2 – March 29: Handmade Bezel & Flood Soldering
Week 3 – April 5: PMC Workshop with White Copper Clay
Week 4 – April 12: Resin Workshop
Week 5 – April 19: Basic Enameling Workshop
Week 6 – April 26: Textured & Dapped: Enameling beyond the flat surface
Week 7 – May 3: Torched & Textured
Week 8 – May 10: Handmade Rustic Chain
These can all be stand alone workshops (you don’t have to take them in order) but there is a discount for committing to the whole series.
Individual prices add up to $385 the whole series is $340 (that is like getting one whole class free!) All supplies are included. There is a minimal supply list to bring with you and even that is optional.
Click here to register for the series.
Still trying to decide what to do (if anything) to the spokes…debating on wrapping them around the back…teacher suggested leaving them which is why I didn’t cut them off before firing.
The class is great and the instructor, Chris Darway, is outstanding!
I can’t wait to get back and add some fun PMC workshops to the calendar..
Part of my resolution for 2011 is to offer more daytime classes, so this series will start there..and if there is enough interest…a Sunday series will be next.
I offer about 8 or more jewelry making classes covering everything from PMC (precious metal clay) where you make your own silver, copper or bronze pieces..to resin filled pendants..to vintage button jewelry.
Here is what this 8 week series will include..
- Session 1: Metal Clay- an introduction to Metal Clay using PMC3 Silver Clay. In this workshop you will learn to roll and add texture to metal clay. You will torch fire your pieces and walk away with .999 (nearly pure) silver pieces to add to your future jewelry designs.
- Session 2: Metal Clay – Beyond the basics. Learn to create your own bails and hollow form beads and molded pendants. Take what you learned in the first session and ramp it up a bit. This time we will work with Copper OR Bronze clay.
- Session 3: Intro to Resin Jewelry – In this workshop you will create texture metal pieces using art metal. The metal bits will go into bezels (rings, bracelets & pendants) and you will fill with a 2 part epoxy resin. In this workshop we will use the de-gassing chamber to provide you with the most clear and glass-like finish for your resin jewelry. We will also take some of the leftover resin and adhere images to glass tiles for future jewelry projects…(see session 4)
- Session 4: Soldering – In this class learn the basics of using a soldering iron to create pendants and charms with glass slides and glass bubbles. We’ll also work with some glass tiles with resin adhered imagery from session 3. This workshop will help you become proficient at adding a silver solder frame and jumprings to your pieces.
- Session 5: Shrink Plastic Charms & Pieces- Learn to use simple shrink plastic to make amazing textured and dimensional charms and pieces for necklaces, earrings and bracelets. You won’t believe your pieces are PLASTIC!
- Session 6: Vintage Spoon Pendants – In this workshop you will learn how to flatten and bend vintage spoons into beautiful custom jewelry. We will use our metal stamps to add an inspiring word to the bowl part of the spoon and turn the handle part into a decorative pendant as well.
- Session 7: Vintage Button Bracelet – Continue with your vintage journey by making a bracelet full of vintage shank buttons.
- Session 8: “Junk Drawer” Jewelry – This workshop will feature old and new, mismatched bits and pieces of jewelry, buttons and notions…re-work them into a statement necklace. Take pieces you’ve made in previous sessions and mix them with beads, buttons and more. Learn some basic wire wrapping skills and walk away with a one-of-a-kind piece of art jewelry.
If taken individually, these workshops would cost over $275….Sign up for all 8 sessions and pay only $240. This includes ALL supplies and 16 hours of instruction.
I’m adding these classes a la carte on the calendar but click here to register for the entire series for the reduced rate
People often ask how many things you can make out of one package of Metal Clay. These pieces were made from 20g PMC Standard. What you see are the pieces after firing and tumbling but not antiqued. Tracy Bollinger was the artist who made these pieces. She brought along some of her favorite stamps. It think they turned out just great.
The next time this class is offered is Tuesday night, March 3rd at 8pm. Click here to sign up.
This week in the studio we have several workshops happening:
Feb 10th (Tuesday at 6:30) is Metal Effects: Do you love the look of the embossed metal projects we’ve been working on? Come in and Make a Heart Sampler using 10 Seconds Studio Metal, tools and plates. The fee is $15 for this 90 minute workshop.
Feb 10th (Tuesday at 8pm) Metal Clay: Find out how ultra easy it is to make your own 99% Silver charms and pendants using Metal Clay (aka. PMC or Precious Metal Clay) You will work from a 20g bag of clay that will yeild from 10-12 pieces of Silver (depending on size of course) We will fire the pieces and have them ready for you by Thursday (just in time for Valentines Day!) Your finished pieces can be turned into earrings, added to chain for a necklace or attached to charm bracelets. Make something truly unique and personal. The fee is $75 for a 90 minute session (this includes your Metal Clay and the Firing fee as well as instruction)
Feb 11th (Wednesday at 7pm) Alphabet Behind Glass: This collage is a substantial piece you can use as a wall hanging or as a tray. Each tile is embellished with 3 letters of the alphabet. Your complete project will include many techniques using the finest of art mediums and craft supplies. The fee is $55 for the 3 hour workshop and includes all materials.
Feb 12th (Thursday at 6:30pm) Collage Unleashed: Using painted papers as our collage fodder, you will create Traci Bautista style collage following techniques found in her book Collage Unleashed. The fee is $25 for this 90 minute workshop and includes all materials and instruction.
Feb 15th (Sunday at 12:30pm) Create Your Best Year: Julie Valentine, Life Coach, will explore the power and magic of vision boards and idea journaling to support you in creating your best year! A vision board is a tool that captures your vision for your life through color, images and words. The fee for this 2 hour workshop is $24 and includes all materials and instruction.
Thursday January 1 & Friday January 2
New Year’s Craft Rave: Come and Craft the day (or night) away during this unassisted open studio time. You have full access to all our die cutting and stamping tools as well as our resource library.
4 sessions offered (register for one or all)
11am-5pm Thursday $25
5pm-11pm Thursday $25
11am-5pm Friday $25
5pm-11pm Friday $25
Register for all 4 and get a 20% discount.
Wednesday December 31
Family MAKE! Studio Time $20/hour per family of 3 ($5/each addtl) plus supplies
Come in and use the studio with the junior crafters in your life. Special family bonding time is a great added side benefit to getting some crafting done. MAKE! handcrafted thank you cards or whatever you want during this assisted studio time. Come in with an idea of what you’d like to MAKE! or be inspired by our project collection.
Tuesday December 30, 7pm
Metal Clay $75 (includes 20g of silver clay)
Create your own silver pendants and charms with silver clay. Your pieces are fired in our kiln and ready by the end of the week.
- Solder around a glass slide to make a pendant or ornament
- Collage using nothing but beeswax as the adhesive
- Turn an old book into a piece of art
- Add a little paint and texture to papers and bind them into an artist journal
- Mix Paper, fabric, beads on canvas to make a mixed media collage
- cover pre-made containers, frames, mirrors and more with pretty papers, ink, embossing powders, glitter and more to make them spectacular
- Make your own book cover out of metal
- Trade Artist Cards with others…gathering a collection of art to display and/or inspire
- Make 99% pure silver jewelry
- Fold one sheet of paper into a miniature booklet
- Cut materials like metal, acrylic, cardboard, fabric, tissue, paper and more in over 200 shapes, book pages, alphabets etc…
- Upcycle something ordinary into something extraordinary
- Make jewelry and decorate anything solid (and heat resistant) with polymer clay
- Cover gigantic paper mache letters with patterned papers and paint to spell out anything you want to say
These are JUST A FEW of the things you can do here in our studio. We provide ALL the tools you need and have the materials too! Come and be inspired to be creative.